Is there someone out there pretending to be you, dressing up like you and giving you a bad name? We’re not talking about doppelgangers or evil twins here; we’re talking about people using your ID number and/or banking details to open accounts or they may have called you requesting for sensitive information pretending to be Virgin Mobile.
If you have reason to believe this is happening to you, do inform us – we’ll help you stop the impersonators on their tracks and prevent further harm being caused.
To get the ball rolling:
• Email us at email@example.com.
• Dial 135 FREE from your Virgin Mobile phone, or call 080 123 1230 from any other phone (normal call rates apply)
• We're able to take your call from:
Monday to Friday between 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and Public holidays between 8am to 6pm
Tips on how you can protect yourself from identity theft or subscription fraud:
• Safeguard your personal information at home by storing it safely out of sight
• Don’t provide personal information to unknown individuals via telephone, email or the internet
• Destroy any documents with personal information you no longer need, e.g., bank statements or payslips
• Request alerts, from companies such as TransUnion, Experian, Clearscore etc., of any activity on your credit profile to ensure no unknown accounts are linked to your credit profile
Tips on how you can protect yourself against cellphone fraud:
• Notify us immediately if your device is lost or stolen
• Store your device’s IMEI number in a safe place so you’re able to have it blacklisted if stolen (most devices’ IMEI numbers can be checked by dialing *#06#)
• Use a PIN to lock your device and SIM card at all times and keep your PIN in a safe place
• Be vigilant and don’t use your device in crowded or unsafe areas
• Keep your device secure and out of sight, and never leave it unattended
• Avoid questionable app downloads
• Look for unusual activity on your monthly bill and report it immediately
1. We will never run a competition or promotion where we ask you to pay a fee to enter.
2. We will never ask you to communicate with us through a public email address such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Live etc. All our email addresses end with @virginmobile.co.za
3. We will never ask you to send money to a personal bank account. Before you send us any money, please call our Customer Care line at 135 or 080 123 1230 to verify that the call you received with payment instructions does indeed come from us.
4. We will never ask you to download any app that requires you to pay a fee.
5. All promotions we run will appear on our website or social media pages, therefore any promotional information you receive or see online that does not appear on our website or social media pages is probably a scam.
If you are ever unsure that it is truly one of our official agents/representatives that contacted you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query.